According to psychcentral.com, Group therapy is a form of psychotherapy treatment where several people meet together under the supervision of a therapist in a particular setting. Group therapy is a form of therapy that can be used in conjunction with individual therapy and medication. The benefits of group therapy include:
- Patients are able to witness how others in the group cope with their problems in positive ways and apply it to their lives.
- Patients learn from other group member’s mistakes.
- Helps improve social skills
- In group therapy, most of the time each individual has to share something about themselves and how they are doing; this helps improve the patient’s interpersonal relationships and understand that they are not alone in this particular process.
- Increased feedback
- Provides patients with different perspectives/ coping methods
- Gives patients a view of how others handle their particular situation
- Provides individuals with personal feedback through other patients perceptions of themselves
- Support Network
- Having multiple individuals who are going through the same gives each patients the opportunity to build a support system that they can use
Group therapy involves members expressing their feelings, problems, ideas, and reactions towards other members. Studies have shown that group therapy has been effective in addressing countless problems, including: anxiety, depression, addictive disorders, substance abuse, death, lifestyle issues, and relationship issues.
If you or someone you know is suffering from any of the conditions listed above or think you/ they could benefit from group therapy, please contact our psychotherapy offices in New York or New Jersey to talk to one of our licensed professional psychologists, psychiatrists, psychiatric nurse practitioners, or psychotherapists at Arista Counseling & Psychotherapy. Contact our Paramus, NJ or Manhattan, NY offices respectively, at (201) 368-3700 or (212) 722-1920 to set up an appointment. For more information, please visit http://www.counselingpsychotherapynjny.com/.