Addiction: Ways to Overcome it
By: Daniela Vargas
Falling into addiction can feel like you have lost control of your life. But, you can gain that control back. Addiction can involve different substances like alcohol, gambling, drugs like cocaine and heroin. Now, you may ask how addiction starts or why people continue using these substances? The reason for this is that when you take a substance or do a certain behavior it makes you feel good and stress free. That “good feeling” is a neurotransmitter called dopamine. Dopamine is a chemical that your brain releases when you feel pleasure or satisfaction.
Psychotherapy can help one overcome addiction. Psychotherapy has many ways which therapists can use depending on the situation. Here are some that can help with addiction.
- Supportive Psychotherapy: Can help patients feel safe and comfortable sharing their experiences and troubles. A therapist can be a strong guide throughout your journey and give advice to help you push through.
- Coping- focused psychotherapy: This method can teach patients ways to cope with substance abuse. This method, combines individual therapy with a Relapse Prevention programs.
- Exploratory Psychotherapy: It is important to find the root of the problem. This type of psychotherapy can help uncover connections with your addiction.
Medication or a combination of both medication and Psychotherapy can help overcome addiction.
- Naltrexone: can help reduce craving of alcohol
- Buprenorphine: this medication can help reduce Opioid withdrawal symptoms. Buprenorphine helps to block and activate the opioid receptors in the brain.
- Methadone: Can also reduce Opioid withdrawal symptoms
- Bupropion: can reduce withdrawal symptoms for nicotine addiction. This medication is also prescribed for people battling with depression.
If you or someone you know is struggling with addiction, please contact our psychotherapy offices in New York or New Jersey to talk to one of our licensed professional psychologists, psychiatrists, psychiatric nurse practitioners, or psychotherapists at Arista Counseling & Psychotherapy. Contact our Paramus, NJ or Manhattan, NY offices respectively, at (201) 368-3700 or (212) 722-1920 to set up an appointment. For more information, please visit http://www.counselingpsychotherapynjny.com/.