Communication in romantic relationships: Healthy communication and its importance
By: Anna Giammanco
Communication is key to maintaining a stable and healthy relationship. Whether romantic or platonic, open communication can help deal with conflict by vocalizing issues and concerns within a relationship. Working through obstacles can create a stronger relationship.
Tips for healthy communication:
- Be clear and concise about what you want to communicate. Make sure your partner understands what it is you are trying to communicate and doesn’t misconstrue your words.
- Talk about the situation and how it has been affecting you.
- Use ‘I’ statements such as “I feel …” “I need …” “I want …”
- Accept responsibility for your own actions, feelings, and mistakes.
- Listen to what your partner has to say and put aside your own thoughts for the time being to completely hear them out.
- Share positive feelings with your partner. Let them know that they are appreciated and important to you.
- Be aware of your tone of voice.
- Negotiate and try to compromise on the issue.
If you or someone you know needs help please contact our psychotherapy offices in New York or New Jersey to talk to one of our licensed professional psychologists, psychiatrists, psychiatric nurse practitioners, or psychotherapists at Arista Psychotherapy & Psychiatric Services. Contact our Manhattan, NY or Paramus, NJ offices respectively at (201)368-3700 or (212) 722- 1920 to set up an appointment. For more information, please visit https://counselingpsychotherapynjny.com