Schizophrenia: Signs and Symptoms
Schizophrenia is a disorder that affects a person’s ability to think, feel and behave clearly. Although the exact cause is unknown, genetics, environment, altered brain chemistry and structure might play a role.
People who have been diagnosed with schizophrenia often show symptoms through their behavior, thoughts, mood, speech and psychological awareness. The common symptoms are as followed:
- Social isolation, disorganized behavior, aggression, agitation, compulsive behavior, excitability, hostility, repetitive movements, self-harm, or lack of restraint
- Thought disorder, delusion, amnesia, belief that an ordinary event has special and personal meaning, belief that thoughts aren’t one’s own, disorientation, mental confusion, slowness in activity, or false belief of superiority
- Anger, anxiety, apathy, feeling detached from self, general discontent, loss of interest or pleasure in activities, elevated mood, or inappropriate emotional response
- Hallucination, paranoia, hearing voices, depression, fear, persecutory delusion, or religious delusion
- Circumstantial speech, incoherent speech, rapid and frenzied speaking, or speech disorder
Other common symptoms:
- Fatigue, impaired motor coordination, lack of emotional response, or memory loss
Schizophrenia needs to be diagnosed by a medical professional as it is chronic and can last for years or be lifelong. Although medication may help, it does not cure the disorder.
If you or someone you know is struggling with schizophrenia, please contact our psychotherapy offices in New York or New Jersey to talk to one of our licensed professional psychologists, psychiatrists, psychiatric nurse practitioners, or psychotherapists at Arista Counseling & Psychotherapy. Contact our Paramus, NJ or Manhattan, NY offices respectively, at (201) 368-3700 or (212) 722-1920 to set up an appointment. For more information, please visit http://www.counselingpsychotherapynjny.com/
Photo Source: https://www.verywellmind.com/what-are-the-symptoms-of-schizophrenia-2953120