Mental Health: What can Family Members do to Promote Positive Mental Health?
By: Julissa Acebo
People often look to their family to find comfort and security. Family members affect the habits we develop, who we are, and who we become. Often families do not realize how they significantly contribute to the mental wellness of a person struggling from a mental disorder.
Below are some tips family members can do which promote mental well-being:
- Extend a Listening Ear
• Provide an environment where every member is free to share their worries, problems, and even good things that life offers.
• This alone can dramatically improve a person’s well-being
- Celebrate Small Wins
• Motivates and boosts a person’s confidence
• Shows that family members are proud and makes the person feel good about their achievements
- Attend Psychotherapy Sessions (family and/or individual sessions)
• Enables all members to learn effective communication
- Make Everyone Feel Valued
• Avoid behaviors that will make members feel sidelined (i.e. being overly harsh with one person. Be fair in the distribution of roles within the household, etc.)
- Eat Dinner Together
• Eating dinner together at least once a week is a prime opportunity to talk, listen, and enjoy time together.
If you or someone you know is struggling with Mental Health please contact our psychotherapy offices in New York or New Jersey to talk to one of our licensed professional psychologists, psychiatrists, psychiatric nurse practitioners, or psychotherapists at Arista Counseling & Psychotherapy. Contact our Paramus, NJ or Manhattan, NY offices respectively at (201) 368-3700 or (212) 722-1920 to set up an appointment. For more information, please visit https://www.counselingpsychotherapynjny.com