Grief: Ways to Cope
By Toniann Seals
The death of a loved one requires coping skills that not many people know how to develop. In this case, grief is the feeling of sadness and loss in relation to someone no longer in your life.
Ways to cope:
- Join a support group
- You may find comfort in being around others who can relate to your pain and experience.
- Be open
- Try not to bottle up your feelings. Express them and address them as soon as needed.
- Accept your differences
- Do not worry about how long your grieving process is or if you are reacting properly. Everyone grieves differently and it is all up to the individual.
- Take care of yourself
- Try not to neglect your hobbies, hygiene or health because these will help you through the day.
- Seek counseling
- If you feel that it is difficult handling the grieving process on your own, contact a psychologist or psycho therapist who can help you overcome your loss.
If you or someone you know is having a difficult time grieving speak with one of our licensed professional psychologists, psychiatrists, psychiatric nurse practitioners, and psychotherapists. Contact us at our Paramus, NJ or Manhattan, NY offices at (201) 368-3700 or (212) 722-1920 respectively to set up an appointment. For more information, visit http://www.counselingpsychotherapynjny.com/.